Multiple repeat of a field inside an instrument

Multiple repeat of a field inside an instrument

par Yannick Faucherre,
Nombre de réponses : 2

Is it possible to repeat a field inside an instrument an infinite number of times?

In my exemple, I have to insert infos about material used  (not listed) in a procedure. I can have only 1 item but sometimes maybe 10 items. 

The best way for doing this may be a button next to the textfield saying "add new material" and a new text field to appear... Is this possible or do I have to preset a given number of fields with a different name (e.g. material_1, material_2, material_3,...)?

Thanks for help!

92 mots

En réponse à Yannick Faucherre

Re: Multiple repeat of a field inside an instrument

par Corentin Aurèle Wicht,

Dear Yannick,

That's a very good question and you just pointed out one of REDCap drawbacks as this is "technically" not possible.

Still, you have two options:

1. As you suggested, you could preset a given number of fields and use branching logic to display for e.g. a new field as soon as the previous is completed. Or eventually use a question on top where the user has to specify how many "new material" he/she is going to add and use branching logic so that the right amount of items appear.

2. You isolate the question(s) related to "new material" in a separate instrument and make the instrument repeatable (by going to "Project Setup" and enabling the "Reepeating instruments" functionality:). As such, you will be able to repeat the instrument (and the item it contains) an infinite number of times.

Option 2 surely is the way to go if you and your study team plan to fill in the study data manually (using ), but if the item should be part of a Survey, I would go for Option 1 so that everything holds in one page.

Best,

C.

189 mots

En réponse à Corentin Aurèle Wicht

Re: Multiple repeat of a field inside an instrument

par Yannick Faucherre,

Dear Corentin,

Many thanks for your quick and useful answer!

As the instrument in which the material has to be specified is already a repeatable instrument, I guess the easier option is option 1.

Kind Regards,

Yannick

37 mots